What is Compounding?
Pharmaceutical compounding is the science of the mixing of medicines and pharmaceutical drugs to fit the unique needs of the patient.
- Enables a trained pharmacist to prepare a tailor-made formulation for a patient
- Allows a medical practitioner to prescribe an exact dose of a medication for his/her patient, instead of a one dose tablet/capsule fits all approach
- Allows changing a medication from a solid tablet or capsule into a liquid
- Allows the avoidance of a non-essential ingredient to which a patient may be allergic, e.g. lactose.
- Enables the improvement of the palatability of a medication by the addition of “favourite” flavours
- Allows the preparation of medications which have been previously discontinued.
Areas of Medicine which can benefit from compounded products are listed on our About You page »